Martine Rothblatt, CEO of United Therapeutics Corp., was profiled in a recent South Florida Business Journal article entitled “America’s highest-paid female CEO joins eMerge Americas lineup.” The article discusses Rothblatt’s keynote address as well as other expected speakers at the upcoming eMerge Americas technology conference in Miami.
- America’s highest-paid female CEO joins eMerge Americas lineup
- Celia Ampel
- Reporter- South Florida Business Journal
- Apr 9, 2015, 10:31am EDT
The eMerge Americas technology conference just added America’s highest-paid female CEO to its lineup of speakers.
United Therapeutics Corp. CEO Martine Rothblatt will give the opening keynote speech for eMerge Americas’ Women, Innovation & Technology Summit on May 4.
“We are honored to welcome Martine, a true luminary and business leader, to open the first-ever WIT summit,” saidMarianna Lopez, head of the WIT initiative, in a news release. “Her knowledge and expertise will perfectly complement the already stellar lineup of talented and accomplished speakers.”
Organizers expect about 10,000 attendees at this year’s event. There were 6,000 last year.
Terremark Worldwide founder Manny Medina created the conference to establish South Florida as a technology hub for Latin America. The WIT Summit was created after men outnumbered women 4 to 1 at last year’s eMerge Americas event.
“We came back from eMerge and we were like, ‘Dude, there are no women there, and we know a lot of women who are doing interesting things in innovation and technology,’” Lopez told the Business Journal in November.
Rothblatt founded Sirius Satellite Radio before creating United Therapeutics to develop heart disease pharmaceuticals. She made $38 million in 2013, according toEntrepreneur magazine.
Other confirmed WIT speakers include:
- Michelle Ebanks, president, People en Español; president, Essence Communications.
- Monique Manso, publisher, People en Español.
- Alexandra Wilkis Wilson, co-founder and CEO, Gilt Groupe and Glamsquad.
- Poornima Vijayashanker, founder, Femgineer.
- Susan Amat, founder, Venture Hive.
- Joanna Schwartz, CEO, EarlyShares.
- Laura Maydon, CEO and managing director, Endeavor Miami.
- Tracy LaFlamme Ortega, founder and CEO, Prepworks.